Thursday, November 13, 2014

NICU

The first couple of days of the NICU are a blur. We didn't get much sleep those first 24 hours of Brock being here. I also was in the ER the first night for high blood pressure and swelling. My OBGYN was worried I might have pre-eclampsia after giving birth and wanted me to be monitored closely with my blood pressure. Turns out nothing was wrong, I am sure the stress of everything made my blood pressure skyrocket.
The first night right when we got here (Thursday), the Dr. thought Brock might have meningitis, so they started him on antibiotics for that. They did a lumbar puncture to check his spinal fluid for infections, also he had an MRI plus a ton of blood work.This all happened within 6 hours of being in the NICU. They were not going to waste anytime.
Thankfully my mom and dad didn't listen to me and came up to the NICU with Geoff and Stacy Julian and my sister Katie.
Geoff and my Dad were able to give Brock a Priesthood Blessing. It was exactly what I needed as Brock's mom to hear Geoff give Brock a blessing of Healing and comfort.
I am so incredibly thankful for the power of the priesthood. Without the knowledge that I have this week would have been awful.
Friday morning when Deric and I got into Brock's room the EEG specicalist was already set up and had started the test on his brain.
He started at about 8am and didn't take everything off Brock till after 4pm. The test did show that Brock was still having seizures, even though he was on medicine to stop them. The medicine he was on was just masking what was actually happening in his brain. The neurologist Dr. McDonald had the nurses put him on another medicine called Kepra which stopped the seizures all together.
around 3pm Dr. McDonald came in and talked over everything he had seen on the EEG as well as what he had seen on Brock's MRI.
The bad news- Brock has a large bleed on the left side of his brain in the left ventricles. He is at HIGH risk for hydrocephalus also known as water on the brain. His brain is so swollen that his left side of his brain is pushing everything off center. The Dr. explained that a brain bleed is like a bruise. You just have to wait for the body to reabsorb the blood for it to go away. Same thing within the brain. We just have to wait and see. Which is so hard to do. They measure his head everyday to make sure its not swelling and will do a head ultra sound through his soft spot once a week to check the progress his brain is making.
Good news- the seizures he was having were a direct results of the brain bleed.  So once the brain bleed takes care of it self the seizures will go away. Until then we keep him on phenobarbital and Kepra to keep the seizures away. also the neurologist said he did not see any meningitis. But to be on the safe side they are keeping him on antibiotics to fight anything else that could be causing him to be sick with an infection.

No comments:

Post a Comment