Wednesday, November 5, 2014

How it all began

Right after birth Brock was super alert. We tried to breast feed but he did not seem interested. So the nurses decided to try a bottle, but he would not take that either. They decided to see if there was fluid in his stomach and suck it out, which there was a good amount, so they figured that was what was causing him not to want to feed. Finally we got some food down him but it had to be done with a tube feed. Deric held him in an upright position for a good 45 minutes to make sure it didn't come back up. But when we laid him down in his bassinet he spit it all right back up. This concerned the nurses and they took his glucose levels which were very low. The nurses insisted that he go to the nursery to be fed and checked up on some more. We really didn't think anything of it and decided it was a good idea and we needed some rest after being awake for more like 20 hours. Around 2:30pm they brought Brock back to our room after we had slept for a little while and showered. We felt like new people! He seemed to be happy but was just very sleepy. He still didn't want to breast feed but we did a lot of skin to skin to try and help him want too. We had a couple visitors during the day and he just slept in their arms and seemed content.
Around 9:30 that night a nurse came in and insisted that she take him to the nursery for a while so we could sleep again. I was a little hesitant because I wanted him to sleep in our room the first night, but the nurse said I could come get him whenever I wanted. So we let her take him and I am so glad we did. This is the 1st tender mercy of this whole experience.
around 11:45 that same night the nurses came in and told us that Brock had stopped breathing and turned blue and that they were going to start him on some antibiotics and do some tests because they thought he might be septic. That would explain the reasons for him not wanting to eat and being so sleepy all day long.
#2 tender mercy is that our night nurse for me was a lady that we go to church with. I would have been a mess without her. Knowing that she was looking out for both me and Brock made the night go a little smoother. She would come in every couple of hours and give me updates and reassure me that they were doing everything that they could to keep him healthy.
He seemed to be doing pretty well the next day and we visited him for a while in the nursery before Deric had to go to work.
I spent most of the afternoon changing rooms since I wasn't a patient anymore, but Brock was so I had to change from our nice big room, to a tiny little room. I held him for a while in the nursery and then decided to have my parents come pick me up so I could run home and grab some more clothes since we only packed for over night and we were told we would most likely be at the valley hospital for 3 days.
When I got back to my room one of the nurses called my cell phone and told me the dreaded news that he had been having seizures while I was gone.
I instantly called Deric and told him he had to get back to the hospital right away. After about 10 minutes he had a few more seizures and the decision was made that he needed to be transfered to Sacred Heart Medical Center which is about 15 minutes from the Valley Hospital where he was born.
Within 20 minutes of the call to the ambulance Deric, my mother in law Kerry and Brock were on their way to Sacred Heart.
Once inside the NICU we met with Dr. Wilson and went over what we thought was going on with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment