Monday, January 5, 2015

1 MONTH 4 DAYS HOME!

Life is so busy at home but so amazing!
Brock came home with us finally on December 1st after spending 32 days at Sacred Heart Medical Center.
On November 28th 2014 Brock had  VP Shunt placed in his head to drain out his spinal fluid that was getting trapped inside. The technical term for this is Hydrocephalus, That words scared the heck out of me for days! I felt like it was a horrible thing, that it was going to hurt Brock in some way in the future, that he had a future of pain, and disability. So not the case!
One of my Facebook friends made a comment on one of my posts that really struck me, She said " how wonderful it is that they can fix this issue!"
I hadn't looked at the positive side of this diagnosis at all while in the hospital. My friend saying that to me really shook me out of my negativity and made me realize that we are lucky there is a fix for this. Not a cure, a fix.
I am amazed at how many people in this world have Hydrocephalus and you don't even know! Honestly I had no idea this issue even existed. Most people with Hydrocephalus go on to live completely normal lives!

I had some more tender mercies in the hospital before Brock received his shunt. We were moved to the Oncology ward in the Children's Hospital to get away from all the sick kids in the PICU. They didn't want Brock to get any respiratory issues. Thank goodness, but the tender mercy of them moving us, we finally got to stay the night with our baby!! The oncology ward was amazing. Its bright and cheery and we got our own big colorful room with a view!!! The nurses there were so great and wonderful to us, (they were everywhere we went! WE LOVE NURSES)
We met one really amazing girl on that floor that we will never forget! She "babysat" Brock for us on Thanksgiving so we could go be with our family for a couple hours. She sang songs to him, hushed the nurses while he was sleeping and made sure he was comfy and warm. She also decorated his IV pole with Christmas Lights and some Christmas decorations. She also gave him a stuffed penguin that he loves to play with, we named the penguin Stella after her!
The other tender mercy of being on that floor was our Physical Therapist for Brock. Jackie! I will be forever thankful for this amazing woman. Her 12 year old son also has Hydrocephalus and has a VP shunt. She told me the things he can do and that he is a normal 12 year old rowdy boy! She even told me that at some point I am going to forget he has the shunt and send him to 4th grade without talking to his teacher about it like she did! That Brock can play basketball and soccer like her son! I really needed to hear these things from her and hear the wonderful things he son is doing! She did say he did break his shunt wrestling around on the floor one day with his friend. But she said it was an easy fix, only a couple days in the hospital.
The last tender mercy was the day that Brock got his shunt! We took him down to the children's surgery center in the hospital and got to meet his surgery team. Brock's anesthesiologist was one of my friends dad! How amazing is that! He had just gotten back off a long trip and was home just in time to be there for Brock! He had no idea, but I know that was for me. I needed that peace and comfort knowing that he was back with my baby, watching and taking care of him while his VP Shunt was being placed.
4 days after the shunt was placed we got to go home! It was such a weird amazing feeling walking out of the hospital with our baby! We had never done that!
Brock is doing amazing. He is eating really well and gaining weight like he should! I gave up on trying to breastfeed Brock. It was so rough on him to even try to breastfeed, He would just scream at me and it looked like he was in pain. I also gave up pumping, It was so much easier to pump in the hospital when I knew he was being watched over by nurses so I could go pump every 3 hours. Its a little harder at home to do that every 3 hours. I was having to fortify my milk with formula because it wasn't fatty enough, so Deric and I decided we would just switch him to straight formula and he is doing amazing! Eating like a champ. I felt guilty for not pumping but then realized if my son is healthy and eating like he should I am doing the best I can as a mother! I don't have to breastfeed to be a good mom!
He is such a happy kid! He is starting to sleep better now that the hustle and bustle of the holidays are over!
Sorry for the lack of posting. but enjoy this photo dump :) (the dates are all wrong on these photos sorry!)
Grandma Wilson holding Brock for the first time since he was born, 

The drain stiches finally came out!

Daddy and Baby Boy!

GOING HOME!

We have a tummy sleeper!


2 months old!

Best buds! Brock and cousin Nathan!

stop taking pictures mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment